Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekly Recap: All Smiles

This wasn't my best week from a nutrition standpoint.  But sometimes the day just calls for bloodies and fried bar food with a girlfriend.  Throw in an overfilled Thanksgiving dinner plate(s) and a few pints of oatmeal chocolate stout.  I now feel like a puffy, over salted ham.  Let the obsessive water drinking commence.

Memorable training moments (there are lots this week!)
- Watching the sunrise three mornings in a row while running.  One in the first snowfall this winter.  I even got to bust out my "Will Run for Cupcakes" hat for the first time.
- My first spin class since being back at the gym.  It was nice to see a room full of familiar, smiling faces.
- The Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning.  I have not laughed like that since college.  So good for the soul!

- Running through the Winter Wonderland of Lights at Portland International Raceway...while dressed up in a random Christmas costume.  Macey, Julie, and I all ran at my pace and we acted out the 12 days of Christmas on each lap.
 - Getting up the next morning to run in the Hot Buttered Run 5k.  In costume again.  Macey stuck with me (again) and helped me FINALLY break through the 30 minute barrier that has eluded me for 4 years.  I'm slow.  I know.  Get over it.  A PR is such a sweet ending to the week.  AND I got to see Bill.  You know, Bill, of hill climbing fame.

Volume
Swim: 1000 meters - don't laugh
Bike: 28.75 miles - equal to last week
Run: 14.78 miles - slowly ramping back up
Strength, etc.: 1.42 hours
Total = 6.43 hours

Numbers
Weight loss: 0.8 pounds for the week, 2.6 total, 22.4 to go
Measurements:  Not yet.

AND...
It's time!!! I will be following Don Fink's 30-week competitive plan again for Ironman Coeur d'Alene. The best part, of course, is that it starts with a rest day.

On tap for Week 1:
Mon - rest
Tue - swim 1:00, run 0:30
Wed - bike 0:30, brick run 0:15 (+ strength)
Thu - swim 1:00, bike 0:30
Fri - run 0:30 (+ strength)
Sat - bike 1:00
Sun - run 0:45
Total - 6:00 (+ 2 strength workouts)

With a run-heavy race schedule in the first part of 2011, my Sunday run volume will slowly become higher than the plan. And since I will mostly be fitting in the swim workouts during lunch time...and my swimming muscles are just coming out of hibernation...I'm going to play around with how to make this work. Maybe 0:45 sessions on Tue and Thu, and then a longer Sat morning session. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the swim workouts in Fink's book, so recommendations for pool routines are welcomed!

No comments: