Monday, April 11, 2011

Weekly Recap: Meaty

The training note from my coach on Monday read "OK - things are going to start getting meaty around here."  No joke.  Especially after looking into the future a couple of weeks.  I was a little unsure of myself, since I was still a bit sick and heading out of town for a 6-day business trip.  That didn't sound like a recipe for success.  But I DID IT!  I'll fast forward to the summary:

Swim - 7286 meters
Bike - 96.25 miles (ALL on the trainer)
Run - 15.91 miles
Strength - 45 minutes of TRX (ouch, it's been a while)
Total - 13.12 hours

If you want to hear some of the gritty details, forge onward.

Monday - I got to see an alligator.  Up really really close.  This has nothing to do with training, but how cool is that!  I said "see you later alligator" to people the rest of the day.  I was very amused with myself.
Tuesday  - I had my long run of 2 hours on the calendar.  It was impossible to do this before the 7am start time at work, so I opted out of the group work dinner and headed back to the lakes near Louisiana State University.  There were dozens of walkers and runners out until the sun went down, so I felt safe and right at home.  Except that it was 75 degrees and not raining, which is very much different than home these days.  (Dear Pacific Northwest Weather Gods, it's not funny anymore.)  The temperature was perfect, a nice breeze was blowing, and the mosquitoes weren't too bad.
Wednesday - I started the morning with a little TRX.  I had also done some strength training on Tuesday, so by this point I was having a hard time bending over to put on my shoes.  Good stuff.
Wednesday night (after a good southern crawfish boil) I headed on over to the most disgusting excuse for a lap pool I've ever seen.  I wouldn't have been so annoyed had I not paid for what was advertised as a "25 yard pristine lap pool".  So, in Louisiana, 25 yards = 15 yards, pristine = so murky you can't see the bottom, and lap pool = no lane lines or painted stripes.  Oh, and 90 degrees is apparently the optimal workout temperature.  However, the 350 pound ladies doing water walking provided a bit of open water swim experience.  And at least I had access to the spin bikes afterwards (which were indeed spin bikes as advertised).
Thursday/Friday - Rest days.  Unintentionally.  What happens in Baton Rouge stays in Baton Rouge, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Saturday - I made it back into town late on Friday night, so Saturday was a rough start.  After a 2 hour trainer ride (seriously, weather gods, enough!) I headed to the pool for the longest session this year.  And I had a new gadget courtesy of my Mom to track the laps.  Thanks, Mom!
Sunday - Oh my.  This day sucked.  It started off with practicing my Ironman morning nutrition, which was by far the best part of the day.  Can't I just practice eating all week?  Oh wait, I do.  Then I was off to the pool for another 2500 meters.  And then back home for FOUR HOURS on the trainer.  FOUR HOURS(Alright, I give, what would you like me to sacrifice?)  And then a 3 mile brick run.  But I did it.  And I'm really proud of myself.  This day is what the guts of Ironman training are made of.  The days that suck and hurt and you find the gumption to get through it anyway.  This is what makes us ready.


Jenny Davidson said...

Great job getting it done!

Jessica said...

I think I would rather walk an entire marathon then go 90 miles on a trainer. You deserve some sort of award for that!