Friday, October 8, 2010

It Looms

10-10-10
It's looming over me like a big, ummm...... like something really big.  The Portland Marathon!  Yippee!  Woohoo!!  I'm so excited!  See?
About as enthusiastic as when I have a dentist appointment.  Sigh...  You see, I didn't train.  Again.  My longest run was 15.5 miles.  My longest week was, well, 15.5 miles.

To make myself feel better, let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

March 24, 2007 - my first 5k:
"I finished and I didn't have to walk.  ...all I really wanted to do was finish in under an hour.  I was silently hoping for somewhere around 45 minutes.  39 minutes...isn't so bad...  Yay!!!"
So, yeah.  I was ecstatic to finish 3.1 miles in around 40 minutes.  I should be thrilled that I can even attempt 26.2 miles off the couch now.

August 3, 2008 - my first hangover triathlon:
"...glasses and glasses of wine prior to a race does not suit me.  Especially since I don't really drink anymore...  After arriving about 45 minutes later than planned..."
I ended up with a PR and a 3rd place age group finish.  Is there a lesson here?  Perhaps I should go on a bender Saturday night and then roll into downtown at 6:55am?

October 6, 2008 - my first marathon:
"But I trained anyway.  Sort of.  My plan was to poll runners each Monday morning to see what their week looked like.  I would pick...the shortest...and do that.  Whatever, it worked.  I finished."
Being undertrained is nothing new to me.  I finished that one (although I was slightly better trained), and I'll finish this one too.

November 24, 2009 - I Am An Ironman:
"I am an IRONMAN!"
I can do anything if I really want to.

February 20, 2010 - my first trail run, Hagg Lake 25k:
"I went into this race knowing that I was unprepared...HUGE understatement.  Thankfully, I was having too much fun to really notice."
Again, I am no stranger to being undertrained.  And I still managed to have the time of my life.  I shall do the same on Sunday.

May 8, 2010 - Eugene Marathon:
"Cross through, get a medal, get a space blanket, get your chip off, and then pancakes.  Yes, pancakes.  They were awesome..."
So even if life sucks donkey tail on Sunday, I can reward myself with pancakes afterwards.

No comments: