Sunday, June 15, 2008

2008 Starlight Run 5k

Starlight Run 5k
Date: 5/31/2008
Distance: 5k run (3.1 miles)

Every year during the Rose Festival in Portland, OR, they kick off the week with the Starlight Parade. The Parade routes through downtown Portland and along the waterfront. About an hour prior to the parade, they hold a non-competitional 5k run with a costume theme. We all know how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE costumes! This year's theme was "The 70's" since this was the 30th anniversary of the festival (started in the 1970's). I had the perfect material in my sewing stuff!

A couple of days before the event I started working on Ken to get him to do it with me. As much as I'm not a runner, he's even more so not a runner! And he HATES costumes! But I sweet-talked him into
participating, and I even got him into some snazzy polyester green pants and mullet wig.
We took the Max train (again) to the event and put up with the stares and questions (again) as people tried to avoid running into my "boobs". Upon arrival at Franklin Highschool, the start of the run, a reporter came up to me and took my picture. He then asked me a couple of questions about my costume and this is the reply he got:
"Well, I'm wearing a fro wig, I have fem-bot boobies with confetti popping out of the nips, my sparkly-ass skirt is barely covering my heiny, and I have the most awesomest psychedelic fur leg warmers on."

He gave me a horrificly embarassed look and went on his way. Laughing, Ken and I roamed about to find the Crouchers and Gilberts. Bob was Austin Powers, Denise was Felicity Shagwell, their son was Elton John, and their daughter was a hippy girl. Fantastic costumes!

When the run started, we got separated, but still had a blast. There were tons of spectators on the parade route and the children would line up on the side to slap our hands. It was like a 3-mile finish line! The rest of the photos are here.

No comments: