Sunday, August 19, 2012

Race Report: Salmon Creek Sunset Run 8k


Salmon Creek Sunset Run 8k
Date: 8/18/2012
Finish time: 1:27:21 (17:35/mile)
* They lost my bib during packet pickup, so I was issued a replacement.  And now my chip time isn't showing up on the race results, but this is the time of the friend I ran/walked with the entire time.

I said in my last race report about a month ago that I was done with running events until post-pregnancy.  Well, I lied.  I totally suck when it comes to peer pressure and races.  I think it's a medical condition.  My girlfriend Jessica is training for a half marathon and wanted to do the 14k at this event as a training run, and she asked if I wanted to do it too.  So I totally blame her.  (I can also be good at not taking responsibility for my actions...just ask Ken.)
For a small local race, this event was pretty decent.  They had great communication via email in the days leading up to the race, the location/parking/logistics were easy, the music was good, there were plenty of aid stations, and they had lots of water and Jamba Juice at the finish line.  I only have two minor complaints:
1) They need to have more pointers directing the runners.  People were confused about which side of the road to run on, and the turns sound like they weren't very obvious for the 14k runners.
2) There weren't any porta-potties on the course.  But then again, I doubt anyone besides me really needed them.

An awesome co-worker had also signed up and she stuck with me the entire time.  Since I was in dead last most of the time, it was great to have some company.  We ran about the first mile, then walked/ran the rest of the time.  I guesstimate that I ran about 2 miles of the course and walked the other 3.  Baby has dropped recently, so while I have regained some of my lung capacity, running/walking really is taking a toll on my lower back and girly bits.  Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, but I paid for it later that night.
Oh, and I need to mention that I came in DEAD LAST at this event.  I suppose it was bound to happen some time.  I'm just grateful that it occurred at a race of only 73 people while I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant.  Glad to get that out of the way...

No comments: